Carolina Kids Dentistry Gives Back to School Tips for Kids
Back to School Basics
The school year is starting in the Charlotte area, though it hardly feels like summer is over! You probably experienced the mad dash to get your students ready to go back to school with binders and backpacks, but did you know this is a great time of year to implement healthy dental practices and get a fresh start on a healthy smile? It is a natural time to get into a good routine and make a great impression in a new school or classroom.
Here is what you and your student can do to start the school year off right.
- Get a new toothbrush! While you’re out picking up supplies or lunch ingredients, pick up a new toothbrush for everyone in the family. These should be replaced every 3 months anyhow, so a good rule of thumb is to have a new brush at the beginning of school and after every report card comes home.
- Make brushing, flossing and rinsing part of the morning and bedtime routine. Good habits start young and children do well with consistent routines, so try to implement these healthy tasks from the beginning.
- Switch to sugar-free gum if you haven’t already. Summer is a fun time for ice cream, popsicles, and treats, but the school year is a great time to put a few healthier habits into place, like chewing sugar-free gum instead of the syrupy sweet variety.
- Speaking of sweets, find a few healthy foods to pack for lunch and snacks that also benefit your student’s teeth. Stay away from sticky candies and provide them with teeth-cleaning apples, carrots or nuts. A water bottle in their backpack is another great way to get mouths rinsed and keep kids hydrated.
- Make sure you’ve got the right equipment. If your kids need a mouthguard for sports or tools to keep braces in good shape during the school day, make sure you have those at the start of the year so students don’t miss important time protecting their smiles.
From our whole office to your whole family, have a great school year!