Fun and relaxation are usually the top priorities for kids and adults during the summer season. But without a structured day-to-day schedule, it’s easy to overlook the fact that your child hasn’t brushed or flossed in the midst of all of that relaxing! In fact, too much of this ‘relaxing’ can put your child at risk for cavities, bad breath and other dental problems. As you and your family enjoy a beautiful summer in Charlotte, NC, dentists are reminding parents to pay attention to their children’s oral health.
Here’s what you can do:
- Encourage your family to observe a summer schedule. Even though there’s no school bus to catch, remind your young family members to brush and floss before lounging around the house.
- Schedule a bi-annual dental check-up at the dentist. The summertime dental visit will ensure that the teeth and gums are healthy. If a problem is detected, you may have more flexibility to address it in a timelier manner during the summertime.
- Provide healthy snacks. Kids tend to snack more freely and more frequently during the summer, but try to steer them away from refined sugars and junk food. Whole grains snacks, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and seeds will help to curb appetites and prevent cavities.
- Get rid of chips, candy, and soda. These items offer little nutritional value and they can family on the fast track to bad breath and cavities. Sugar and carbs give fuel to the oral bacteria that cause dental diseases, especially during the times when brushing and flossing may be inconsistent.
- Start now. When you instill positive oral health habits in your young family, they’ll be far more likely to maintain top health and remain free of complications like tooth decay, gum disease, or bad breath throughout their lives.
For a fun and healthy summer in Charlotte, dental problems should be kept at bay. Contact a pediatric dentist for your child’s appointment today.